Sunday, August 12, 2012

Nightwish-Imaginaerum (2011)

Hello all,
Today's album review is a new-ish album. It is the most recent relase from Finnish symphonic-power-metal band Nightwish titled Imaginaerum. It is also their second album with lead vocalist Annette Olzon. If your not familiar with European power metal, it is definitely more dedicated to musical diversity and melodic vocal rather than the current trend in American metal that is more focused on thrash and growls. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but Nightwish is a pleasant change of pace from the norm.

Like many European power metal outfits, their sound is a blending of folk music, keyboards and heavy metal. This album does this and more. It has an almost operetic quality which creates a vivid and dramatic feeling to every song on the album. What stands out on this album is the vocals from lead vocalist Olzon, but the supporting vocals from bassist Marco Hietala are really great. This is especially true in I Want My Tears Back which is the highlight of the album. Other standouts are Rest Calm, The Crow, the Owl, and the Dove, and Last Ride of the Day.

I hadn't heard of Nightwish until about six months ago, so I am a little behind the curb. That said, after listening to Imaginaerum, I am hooked. Additionally, I have read that they will be touring North America this fall in support of this album. They will be playing in Salt Lake City and Seattle which are the closest venues to where I reside, so perhaps I will attend one of these shows.

For your listening pleasure, here is I Want My Tears Back.



Anyway, thanks for reading.
Marty Sabin


1 comment:

  1. Great choice! I love this album. Many of the songs take on an almost folky feel to them, but Olzen's vocals are very tasty and symphonic rock/metal is great!

    ReplyDelete