Monday, September 10, 2012

Heart, Red Velvet Car (2010)

Hello everybody,

Today I am looking at the most recent Heart album Red Velvet Car. I know what you're saying . . . Heart isn't metal. Perhaps, but if it wasn't for Heart, you wouldn't have Halestorm, In This Moment, Evanescence, etc. In other words, my justification for including Heart in my metal blog is simple: They are the greatest and most significant female-led hard rock band in music history and deserve our respect. Plus, I don't think that there has ever been a singer, male or female, who can compete with Ann Wilson's voice . . . it is simply incredible.

Also, I know that this album has been out for two years, but I haven't been as up to date on new releases while I was attending graduate school. Now that I am finished, I can concentrate on listening to new-ish materiel. Hell, if I haven't heard it, its new to me. Right?

Anyway,

After giving this album a quick first listen, I have to say that this album is pretty damn good. It has something for everyone. If you like the classic hard rock Heart, then  WTF is the song for you. If you prefer their poppy 1980s-early 1990s stuff, then the title track may be for you. In addition, there are several acoustic tracks that make this album one of the most diverse and rich works that I have heard in a while. I was not expecting that from Heart. The one thing that I got out of this album that was expected was the wonderful vocals of Ann Wilson. Even in her early-60s, she continues to amaze.

The notable tracks on this album are WTF, Wheels, Death Valley, and Closer to the Sun; however, I did not enjoy the title track or the opening track, There You Go. Despite the interesting mix in styles, the album is rather uneven for my personal tastes.

If I were to give Red Velvet Car a grade, it would receive a solid B.

For your listening pleasure, I have included a clip of WTF.



As always, thank you for reading.

Marty Sabin

2 comments:

  1. Never have heart Heart before. It sounds pretty old-school, which can be cool if done well. I'm not really much of a fan of old-school hard rock, but I can see where the appeal comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old school beats new school every day of the week IMO.

    ReplyDelete