Sunday, November 25, 2012

Geoff Tate, Kings & Thieves (2012)


Hello everyone,

Today we are taking a break from the Metal Mayhem Top 100, and are taking a brief look at Geoff Tate's latest solo effort, Kings & Thieves.

I have been excited about this release ever since Tate announced the album of That Metal Show. Tate stated that the album was going to contain heavier riffs than the last few Queensryche albums. This excited me. When the first single, "Dark Money" was released on YouTube, I genuinely enjoyed it.

I was determined to have this album when it came out in early November.

After the first listen, I was rather disappointed due to the broken promise of a heavy album by Tate. Before I decided to write a bad review, I thought I should give it another listen, but keep an open mind. First, this was not a metal album, but a progressive rock album by a talented, multifaceted artist who wanted to experiment with different sounds rather than be put into a corner. Tate combines elements of metal, alternative, and jazz among others.

It's a pretty solid album, but for me, it took a few listens to appreciate it. I give Geoff Tate's Kings & Thieves a B-.

Here is "Dark Money."


Thanks for reading,

Marty Sabin

No comments:

Post a Comment