Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fozzy, Sin and Bones (2012)

Hello everyone,

Today I am looking at Fozzy's latest album titled Sin and Bones.

If you are unfamiliar with the music of Fozzy, you have been missing out. The band consists of pro wrestling superstar Chris Jericho on vocals, lead guitarist Rich Ward and drummer Frank Fontsere of Stuck Mojo, Paul di Leo on bass, and Billy Grey on rhythm guitar. The band began as a cover band of classic metal tracks of artists like Iron Maiden, Dio, Motley Crue, and Judas Priest. Their first two albums consisted of these covers; however, their third album was their first album of original material. I first discovered Fozzy when I happened to find the song Grail on YouTube. I was blown away. This song was amazing! I went on to purchase the album Chasing the Grail which was one of the best album from 2010.

Let's discuss their new album Sin and Bones. Initially I was not too impressed with this album, but after listening to it a few times, I have come around. This album is a bit of a departure from their previous album with the inclusion of keyboards, and the epic 11-minute finale Storm the Beaches. While Chasing the Grail  seems to have a more chaotic, guitar-oriented feel, Sin and Bones is more focused. Additionally, the music seems more polished and advanced thematically. One drawback on this album is the vocals don't seem to be as polished as previous efforts, but again, the blending of guitars with keyboards clearly makes up for this shortcoming. I'm not saying that the vocals are bad, just not as good as Chasing the Grail.

The single Sandpaper is a wonderful rock anthem while Storm the Beaches is an epic that tells the story of a soldier who is fighting in the Battle of Normandy during World War II. In addition, Dark Passenger, She's My Addiction, and Blood Happens are all excellent tracks.

If I were pressed to grade the album, I would give it a B +.

For your listening pleasure, I have attached two clips from the record.







As always,
Thank you for reading,
Marty Sabin

No comments:

Post a Comment